Clinical development strategy
Our clinical consulting team comprises seasoned pharmaceutical physicians with many years of drug development experience. Our consultants have extensive experience of planning and implementing clinical development programs, both for biotech and multinational companies, for small molecules and biologics, across a range of therapeutic areas.
They have made significant contributions to the development of numerous launched products and have held global responsibilities for marketed medicines. The team’s work spans most aspects of clinical development, including:
- clinical development strategy
- clinical development plans
- understanding current standards of care
- mapping the competitive landscape
- selecting indications to best suit the strengths of an investigational agent
- providing medical support to clients for interacting with the FDA and European medicines agencies
- operational support
- preparing dossiers and submissions
- developing protocols
- developing target product profiles
- regulatory support
- advising on organizational structures, including job descriptions and hiring documents
- developing and reviewing clinical standard operating procedures
- clinical governance
- GCP compliance
- medical affairs (pre- and post-launch)
- pharmacovigilance consultancy
- medical monitoring
Most of our work focuses on oncology. However, it has also included diabetes/metabolism, rare diseases, neurology, respiratory diseases (including asthma), and antibiotics.
Case study: defining a clinical strategy in oncology
A venture capital-backed platform technology company wanted to develop its internal pipeline of therapeutic candidates, while allowing prospective partners to access the technology platform through selected R&D collaborations.
Our oncology consultant Edward Garmey created a detailed timeline and gap analysis for the company’s initial IND filing and Phase 0-l clinical trial launch. This involved:
- reviewing relevant documents, including the technology, pre-existing corporate, scientific and clinical goals, and any preclinical data
- holding interviews with key stakeholders including company founders, the CEO and the internal R&D team
- reviewing potential target cancer indications and establishing up-to-date standards of care
- reviewing relevant biomarkers to inform PK/PD activity and patient enrichment strategies
- preparing a clinical development plan including prioritization of target indications, design of Phase 0-lla clinical trials and proposal for clinical trial investigators and sites
- developing an interval-to-IND filing gap analysis.
Our consultant presented to the Board and was retained as an ongoing medical advisor to the company. Further case studies regarding the work Alacrita performs in clinical development are available here.
Related Case Studies
Oncology project plan
Alacrita was requested by the technology transfer function of a leading cancer research institute to produce a development plan for a very promising small molecule lead series against a...
Providing medical support
A leading immuno-oncology biotech company with a pipeline of novel, first-in-class clinical stage assets needed medical support for multiple activities in Europe and the United States. Solution Our...
Supporting a clinical strategy for a novel cancer agent
A biopharmaceutical company needed support to develop a first-in-class oncology asset. Solution We advanced the company’s clinical development strategy for its lead program, supported preclinical and clinical program...
Part time oncology chief medical officer for a medical supplement
A start-up biotechnology company was developing a new oncology therapeutic for the treatment of advanced solid tumors. The product consists of four FDA-approved and well-tolerated supplements, all of...
Cancer immunotherapy consulting
Alacrita Consulting’s founders worked together for over 10 years at Onyvax, a London-based cancer immunotherapy company backed by SR One. We have conducted a number of consulting projects in the...
Supporting a Chief Medical Officer
A listed biotech company conducting Phase III clinical trials in an oncology indication needed Chief Medical Officer support for multiple clinical activities in Europe and the United States....