Clinical development strategy
Our clinical consulting team comprises seasoned pharmaceutical physicians with many years of drug development experience. Our consultants have extensive experience of planning and implementing clinical development programs, both for biotech and multinational companies, for small molecules and biologics, across a range of therapeutic areas.
They have made significant contributions to the development of numerous launched products and have held global responsibilities for marketed medicines. The team’s work spans most aspects of clinical development, including:
- clinical development strategy
- clinical development plans
- understanding current standards of care
- mapping the competitive landscape
- selecting indications to best suit the strengths of an investigational agent
- providing medical support to clients for interacting with the FDA and European medicines agencies
- operational support
- preparing dossiers and submissions
- developing protocols
- developing target product profiles
- regulatory support
- advising on organizational structures, including job descriptions and hiring documents
- developing and reviewing clinical standard operating procedures
- clinical governance
- GCP compliance
- medical affairs (pre- and post-launch)
- pharmacovigilance consultancy
- medical monitoring
Most of our work focuses on oncology. However, it has also included diabetes/metabolism, rare diseases, neurology, respiratory diseases (including asthma), and antibiotics.
Case study: defining a clinical strategy in oncology
A venture capital-backed platform technology company wanted to develop its internal pipeline of therapeutic candidates, while allowing prospective partners to access the technology platform through selected R&D collaborations.
Our oncology consultant Edward Garmey created a detailed timeline and gap analysis for the company’s initial IND filing and Phase 0-l clinical trial launch. This involved:
- reviewing relevant documents, including the technology, pre-existing corporate, scientific and clinical goals, and any preclinical data
- holding interviews with key stakeholders including company founders, the CEO and the internal R&D team
- reviewing potential target cancer indications and establishing up-to-date standards of care
- reviewing relevant biomarkers to inform PK/PD activity and patient enrichment strategies
- preparing a clinical development plan including prioritization of target indications, design of Phase 0-lla clinical trials and proposal for clinical trial investigators and sites
- developing an interval-to-IND filing gap analysis.
Our consultant presented to the Board and was retained as an ongoing medical advisor to the company. Further case studies regarding the work Alacrita performs in clinical development are available here.
Related Case Studies
Cancer immunotherapy combination landscape analysis
A client, currently developing a first-in-class small molecule with potential to treat a range of cancer types, wanted to gain a deeper understanding of the competitive landscape in...
Providing expertise through an oncology scientific advisory board
An emerging drug discovery company, with a core expertise in molecular modelling, had developed a small molecule inhibitor for a novel cancer metabolism target. The company was looking...
Clinical strategy, medical oversight and clinical due diligence
Alacrita supports several companies with medical and clinical strategy advice and support. We have particular depth in oncology, but also have expertise in infectious diseases (in particular novel antibiotics),...
Oncology project plan
Alacrita was requested by the technology transfer function of a leading cancer research institute to produce a development plan for a very promising small molecule lead series against a...
Start-up support and funding
Alacrita worked with the CEO and Chairman of Evgen Ltd, a start-up biotech company, to successfully secure a Series A financing. Alacrita developed a rational development strategy for Evgen’s...
Defining a clinical strategy in oncology
A venture capital-backed platform technology company wanted to develop its internal pipeline of therapeutic candidates, while allowing prospective partners to access the technology platform through selected R&D collaborations....